Trying new things for the first time is always a scary prospect. It can be an overwhelming when you are trying to take in every little aspect of a new activity or subject. But once you get over that initial hump, it becomes easier! Roller skating is no different. It might be intimidating at first to see everyone rolling around. Some might be skating backwards and others might be zig zagging through the rink. Just remember, all of these people you see started somewhere as well! South Skate, located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, wants everyone to have a positive skating experience, so if you are thinking of testing the waters, here is your beginners guide!
What You’ll Need
- To start your roller skating journey, you are firstly going to need a pair of skates, of course! But since you are a first timer, some safety equipment is a great tool to have while you’re learning. Elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet will help keep you protected while you’re getting the into the swing of things.
Time for the Rink
- Now that you are all geared up, it’s time to get skating! Before you start rolling around the rink and doing tricks, however, you need to know a few fundamentals.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend you knees and squat slightly. This will give you a bit more spring, and aid your balance.
- Find a sweet spot with this general stance that you feel comfortable with.
- Let’s Get Moving!
- To start rolling around the rink, position your toes outward and your heels inward.
- Practice walking like this until you find your balance. You may fall a few times trying to get it just right, but that’s what the pads are for! After a while, you will gain more confidence and be well on your way.
- Start to move your feet more quickly, and take longer strides.
- Begin to push off harder with one foot while you glide on the other. Glide farther and farther distances
You’re off to a great start! If you want to put these tips into action, come visit us at South Skate! Check out our hours to plan your next trip.