If this is your first time roller skating, we couldn’t be more excited that you decided to look into it! If you watch people who have been skating for a while it may seem difficult, or even scary to try it out. But trust us, it’s easy once you get the hang of it! Roller skating can be so much fun, that’s why South Skate in Oklahoma City, OK wants to give you some tips on how to get started!
- First things first, to start roller skating you obviously need a pair of skates! But since you are a first timer, some safety equipment is a great tool to have while you’re learning. Elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet will help keep you protected while you’re getting the into the swing of things.
- You’ve got the gear, now it’s time to have some fun! Before you start rolling around the rink, and doing tricks, you need to know the basics.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend you knees and squat slightly. This will give you a bit more spring, and aid your balance.
- Find a sweet spot with this general stance that you feel comfortable with.
- Rollin’ around!
- To start rolling around the rink, position your toes outward and your heels inward.
- Practice walking like this until you find your balance. You may fall a few times trying to get it just right, but that’s what the pads are for! After a while, you will gain more confidence and be well on your way.
- Start to move your feet more quickly, and take longer strides.
- Begin to push off harder with one foot while you glide on the other. Glide farther and farther distances
And look! That’s not too bad, right? It’s always a great idea to take someone with you that has previous experience to help get you up to speed.