From its not-so-humble beginnings at a masquerade ball in 1760 to its peak in popularity during the disco craze of the 1970s, roller skating has had a long, strange journey over the last 250 years. Skating has a long history of innovation and thrills. Over the years, the popularity of skating has waxed and waned, but even 40 years after its peak in 1977, there are still over 39 million skaters in America alone!
Here at Southwest Skate Center, we know quite a few of those folks who love the thrill of gliding around the rink. And with October being National Roller Skating Month, we thought it would be fun to give you some quick facts about our favorite pastime that you might not know!
- Over 2.5 million people play roller hockey in the US.
- Skating is one of the safest recreational sporting activities with studies showing that you’re twice as likely to be injured at the local playground as you are at a skating center.
- On average, there are over 500,000 birthday parties at skate centers across the country every single year!
- Roller Derby’s popularity has been on the rise since the early 2000s, coming close to its peak from the 1970s.
- Skating is a ton of fun! Ok, you probably already knew this one, but that doesn’t make it any less true.
At Southwest Skate, we are happy to keep the long tradition of skating alive. We can’t wait to celebrate our favorite pastime with you here in Oklahoma City during National Roller Skating Month all October long! For more information about booking a birthday party or to learn more about our open skating times, give us a call today.